Friday, February 19, 2010

I was a cat in another life

"Nostalgia. It's delicate, but potent… In Greek, nostalgia literally means the pain from an old wound. It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone."
— Don Draper, Mad Men, 1.13 (The Wheel)


Its amazing how memories can be relived with fond remembrance. This particular journey down memory lane was orchestrated by one of my best friends, and maintainer of my sanity, if ever there was any. 

I vividly remember one particular evening, after finishing the day's homework and having a glass of milk, I ventured outside to hang with S. It was a hot May evening, and we were not in a mood to play (and run and sweat). We retired to one of 'our' spots - above a plastic water tank. Now, try to imagine this - two girls, about 13 years old, wearing shorts, sitting on a water tank, with their feet dangling down without a care about the world moving on below them (the tank was at a height).  I recall the discussion (or rather argument) being about our impending trip to India. One of us was leaving a day before the other and we were on the tank counting down days till the glorious Indian Summer embraced us.  That's all. We must have sat and talked till one of our parent's called out for us to get back home for dinner.

How I would long to be that scrawny, dark kid, sitting atop a tanki and living life. Why have I forgotten to live life?

No comments: