Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Hangover - Movie Review

Believe it or not, I just got around to seeing this movie. And boy, am I glad I saw it. Those of you who know my taste in movies know that I would probably place Ace Ventura ahead of The Schindler's List (or similar) in my favorite movies. My rating system is pretty simple when you come to think of it - the higher the number of repeat viewings, the higher the movie goes on my list. And by repeat viewings, I mean wanting (and actually getting around) to watch it every week. I can safely say that Ace Ventura has been watched by me once every month. Others in this category are Andaz Apna Apna (tell me you did not know this!), Up, Horton Hears a Who, Madagascar (I will say that I get around to watching only clips of King Julien though) and any movie of Tom Cruise (yes, I don't care what religion he follows - I like him for the movies he makes). A lot more are coming to mind but lets leave the list as is for now.

Now, The Hangover. It's already started climbing up in my ratings chart with the speed of a deer being hunted by a tiger. I am not going to go into the specifics of the story. It's the essence of the movie that got to me. It's situational comedy at its best. As one of the actors' said in an interview - the comedy does not come from the actors/characters being funny or saying funny lines. These guys are sad little men who think they are funny but aren't. Its the interplay of the characters with the situation (which I admit, are crazy and hence hilarious) that makes The Hangover a classic comedy which will survive the test of time. With written humor, there is always the fear of not being relevant after a couple of years.

Thats all there is to it.

No comments: