Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What has changed?

You know, everyone changes. Everyone grows up. Everyone matures. It is inevitable. High school is good for some people. Bad for a lot more. I am proud to say that I had an amazing childhood. I would not change a thing. I remember being a brash, arrogant, and selfish kid with a devil may care attitude. I acted as a child was expected to act - I was very outspoken without a hint of coyness. I had no qualms about going up on stage and making a fool of myself (back then I had a very high opinion of myself, so consequently I thought that making a fool of myself was an impossibility).

Then I went to university. I held onto my attitude and lived just the way I grew up. It worked perfectly. I did modify my attitude a little though and became a more likeable person as a result. I was still a very confident, young kid.

Then I moved to the US. A part of me died. That confident, outspoken part. I still can hold my own in any conversation, but I just choose not to. When previously I would initiate discussions, arguments, talks, now I just sit and like to observe. Previously, I would speak my mind; now I carefully calculate my words and only if need be, speak up. Previously, my hand shot up in class like Hermione's; now I think unless my question/answer could save a life (or less dramatically, be relevant to the discussion and not considered a waste of precious time by my peers and professors) I don't need to bother. Maybe this is what is called growing up. If so, then I really don't want to.

No comments: