Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Confederacy of Dunces

On the suggestion of Aamir Khan, I picked up this book. Because you have to heed to Aamir Khan's suggestion. There is no other way.

If I liked him before, I love him now. This book is a classic I did not know about. For me, I turned out to be a hidden gem, a gem that was carefully picked up, dusted, and polished to perfection by yours truly. It is times like this one where I feel like I have not lived life. I mean, I am closer to hitting the quarter-century mark, and in all these years how did I miss this book? This is the kind of book that makes me want to run (yes, run) right this minute to a library (or bookstore) and start reading. No wasting time blogging. Seriously.

I love reading. For the longest time, I resisted buying a SmartPhone. For good reason. The book I would read during my commute got replaced by browsing NYT (which technically qualifies as reading). If I was not in a mood to read (translate: brains not functioning after a tiring day at work), I would listen to the 15 songs I had on my iTunes (which is a big deal for me!). I was reading the aforementioned books for a total of 3 months. That's just plain shameful. I feel guilty even admitting it.

This brings me to the title of the post. The book. It is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. Actually, I cant remember reading a funny book. Writing adventure, mystery, drama, fact, romance is a lot easier than trying to make someone laugh. It's my opinion any who. Like they say, half of the fun in a joke is the way it is said. Which makes the job of a writer a lot more difficult.

All I will say to anyone who reads is this: Please rush over to a library/bookstore/friend and get this book. You will not be able to put it down.

No comments: